As you envision the impact of your giving this season, we hope you will consider donating to Real Food for Kids to support the ongoing success of programs that are truly changing the quality and culture of school food.Six years ago, Real Food for Kids launched a campaign to replace the highly processed, additive-laden foods served in Fairfax County school cafeterias with food that was real, fresh and genuinely nourishing for students. We did it because, as parents, we knew that when you feed children good food they are fueled for good – intellectually, emotionally and physically.
- By the end of this year, our efforts will have impacted more than 250,000 students in Northern Virginia.
- Ninety-one percent of additives have been removed from the cafeteria menu in Fairfax County.
- Six salad bars have opened in FCPS elementary schools; 12 more are on the way this year alone.
- Loudoun County schools will have two made-from-scratch soups and homemade salad dressing on their lunch line.
- 170 cafeteria staff from Fairfax, Loudoun and Arlington counties are bringing the skills learned at our RFFK Chef Academy back to their school communities.
- Dozens of PTAs and parents have been supported in integrating healthy celebrations and fundraising into their schools.
- Our Culinary Expo in Northern Virginia now engages High School and Middle School students as well as teachers, parents and partners in moving the conversation about school food forward.
Moving forward, we will continue to:
- Advocate for the removal of harmful additives, dyes and preservatives from every item on school food menus, so our kids can eat clean.
- Expand our reach across the Greater Washington D.C. area and beyond, partnering with school systems in all districts to support the move to fresh, wholesome foods.
- Build educational programs and resources to help students expand their understanding of food and nutrition and to help parents create a culture of wellness in their schools and their communities.
- And collaborate with you to advance this mission.